Vintage mini cycle pics

it looks bigger in the picture but its only a 100 cc :shrug:
Yeah, but it still has full-size wheels. My uncle bought a brand-new Super Rat. That thing was so cool and a hard edged racer compared to my AT1 Yamaha. Oh, here's a link to a fellow selling his collection of 70s YZ 80s. There was a game changer...

4 each YZ80's 74-75-76-77 ABCD collection

And one to an extra-nice mini enduro.

1972 Yahama JT60 mini enduro

My youngest kid raced a CR80 in the early 90s. That was great fun. I haven't scanned many pics, but here he is all worn out after a day at the Washougal, Wash., MX prolly in '91.

My dad bought this used Yamaha 60cc mini enduro with out a motor and put a 100cc motor instead it was really fast, some trophies in the beginning from my Kawies. best friend back then riding my kawie 75cc.

Last edited:
nieghborhood

The two pictures on the sides where in Gardena, then when I was around 13 we moved to Lomita which is the one in the middle.
In Gardena we had fields and swamps every where to ride, some of them are still there but the call them " nature preserves" even though we thrashed them with two wheels for years lol!
There were fields even in Lomita back then every where to ride in but no more!

where did you ride back in the day?

Where did you ride back in the day neck? or any one else listening? we could make that a whole different thread I guess? "Where did you ride as kid?"

Neck

Growing up is optional
I grew up in Downey, no safe riding there! So I was at the mercy of our camping trips to go riding, or go with a friend. Dad was not into bikes AT ALL! Kinda sucked.

Yeah I had cousins who lived in Downey and came over to ride with us. I had a lot of friends in the same boat as you so we took them riding with us and even got most them in to racing. 1970's were like the best for dirt bikes!

Neck

Growing up is optional
I had a cousin that grew up in Gardena, almost across the street from Mattel, there were a LOT more open spaces in the 70's, that's for sure. It seem's the Golden years for dirt bikes were before 1974, to me anyway!

Rodney the one picture from Gardena with the Black car behind you . Was that a Borgward Isabella ? I too like the stories I lived in Lomita when I got my first mini bike that ran in 1967 my Flexo Big Bear Scrambler . And never had problems finding some pace to ride. Rodney do you remember Keystone Lawn mower they were @ 1635 W Carson Street , Torrance. That is the shop I bought out in June 1971
Steve :scooter:

Hi Steve! there's two Rodney's but I know your talking about my sister's 1955 Hilman. I sorry I dont remember that mower shop name but probally had seen it back then, do you remember T&O Yamaha? PCH honda? or how about that really cool CycleParts shop in Harbor City that had shopping carts when you walked in the door because they had every thing for motorcycles and minibikes just like a candy store?
Or how about my favorite was "Custom City" that had super tricked out bikes of every kind on display and for sale! they even had a Maico with a snow ski kit on it! that place was like Disneyland for dirt bikes! I think it was in Downey or Lakewood?

pictures

nice looking vintage xr75, very trick xr100, my buddy and I mud riding in Lomita 1973, and a nice home made track in Lomita around 1976.

Last edited:
pictures

The famous Indian Dunes 1970's, racing on the minibike track at Indian Dunes in the 1970's, and last years "Hell On Wheels" minibike race out at Milestone Raceway.

Last edited:
vintage minicycles

Misc. pictures, my kawasaki 100cc out at Ascot 1974,world muddy grand prix on the front cover.

Last edited: