Jackeo21's - Vintage Class - Tru Test - OldMiniBikes Build Off 2016

Well, to be honest, I never thought I'd ever get the chance to enter in the OldMiniBikes build off, but, here I am!

I'm entering in the Vintage Open Class.

My bike is a 1970's New Zealand built Tru Test. I have the frame, forks, wheels, sprocket, chain, and axles/bushings.

I picked up this bike not too long ago with the stong intention to use a flathead, but I decided I'd like to keep this bike for many years, I think would like a new engine. Flatheads are awesome don't get me wrong, I will always have one somewhere :laugh:, but they've lasted 30-40 odd years and I'm not sure how much longer they can hold up!, so I am on the lookout for a clone or Honda to rebuild or upgrade.

Colour-wise, I was thinking an orange metallic and black bike, but I have not decided as of yet. I'm hoping to get a classic styled bike but the use of a clone or Honda will make that challenging!

Hope you enjoy this build as much as I will! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

jackeo21

Last edited:
Welcome to the build off and thank you for participating! Looks like a cool little mini you have there. Good luck on your build!

Switched to vintage class due to my engine choice :thumbsup:

I have this 73 3HP to use. All clean on the inside but will still receive a light hone/rings/valves/piston. Gonna be done in black, so i'm gonna need to think of a bike colour to go with it.

I want to keep this neat little Carlisle tyre on the rear. Barely clears the frame on one side! believe it is a 10.5-4.50-4. Never seen one like it! The front will be getting a typical 4.50-4 minibike tyre. Going to look interesting...:laugh:

The bike has a 60t rear and 11t Comet 400 Clutch. Anybody got an estimate value for top speed?

I have just done an OldMiniBikes order for 2 chrome fenders/7/8 throttle and a Piston+Rings. Can't wait!

I have another Tru-test in the way so I should be able to start the frame work and tear down in around a week.

-jackeo21

Measure how tall that rear tire is and there are many top speed calculators online. For example if that tire is 11" tall, 60 tooth rear sprocket, 11 tooth clutch, 3600rpm engine=22mph

After putting together another bike and working on my first project car (1983 Mitsubishi Mirage - AKA 1983 Dodge (or Plymouth) Colt), I thought it was time to work on my build off bike :laugh:

I stripped down the frame in 10 minutes flat and started to make a new kickstand. I got some slightly larger steel rod than the original stand was made from, and heated it up, then hit it into shape with a hammer. After chopping it to length I drilled the frame hole larger (for the k-stand) to accommodate the new stand, almost ripping my arm off (drill bit kept grabbing) in the process :thumbsup: I got it done though! Next is to weld some washers to it and find a new spring and I should have a fully functioning kickstand for once.

After that I need to remove the front wheel bearings and get the wheels cleaned up and painted. New bearings for the front and back wheels will be purchased. I also need to get new steering bushings machined up.

I did an OldMiniBikes order for a $23 7/8's throttle kit (I like how well they work), 2 chrome fenders and a piston and rings for the 3HP. Shipping was something like $60-70 :no:

I need to get the rest of my 3HP sandblasted so I can paint it black! Decided not to use VHT, but spray enamel instead. (I love how markus 1971 Tec looks). I painted a bit onto some 1/2 waterpipe and heated it up with a propane torch and it did fine.

Stay tuned,
-jackeo21